P & S Pape & Shewan, llp
Contact a Lawyer

How can you appoint a guardian for your children?

The last thing any parent wants to think about is what happens in the case of an untimely death. A young child without a guardian can end up in the foster care system, which is something many parents want to avoid. How can you make sure your child gets taken care of if you or your child's other parent aren't able to? Arrange guardianship now.

The first step is to find a guardian for your children. It might be a sister or brother who is old enough to care for younger siblings, or it might be your children's aunt or uncle. Take the time to consider your choice carefully, because this person needs to be able to care for your children as if they are his or her own.

Once you know who you want to be the guardian of your children, the next step is to create a will. A will is legally binding, and you can appoint a guardian in it. Your attorney can have the will drawn up to describe which circumstances can result in the guardianship rights of the other party kicking in. You, your attorney and the guardian should meet together to discuss the will and all details to do with guardianship in the case of your death.

It is possible to have your will challenged in court. Judges will hear those challenges. So, you could find that you appoint a guardian and have someone else in the family contest that choice. It is unlikely for the judge to choose someone else over who you chose, and if you work with an attorney to appoint a guardian, it's even less likely.

Source: The Law Dictionary, "How To Arrange For Guardianship Of Your Children After Your Death," accessed Nov. 25, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Map Location Image

Law Office of Jeffrey B. Pape, P.C.
642 Pollasky Avenue
Suite 100
Clovis, CA 93612

Toll Free: 800-797-5677
Fax: 559-299-0920
Map & Directions